Saturday, February 21, 2009

Compassion and Comfort

As I was reading my Guidebook this week I was reminded that the One I serve is the Source of all compassion and comfort. He is there for me in every troubling circumstance I may face. It is easy for me to bask in this, soaking it up. Oh how awesome it is to serve One like this. How wonderful it is that He is there for me during the trying times. But, my Guidebook goes on to tell me that He is there for me in these times not just for my comfort along the journey. As I continue on this journey I will encounter others along the way that are either experiencing what I am now, or what I have previously experienced. He comforts me so that I can in turn comfort them!

How many times I've gone through a troubling season of life and rather than reaching out to others I've closed myself off from them. I am an introvert and tend to be a happy troll in the middle of the woods. I'm content to see people when I "have the energy" to be around them. I can be even more this way when facing trying times. How many opportunities have I missed to comfort others with the same same comfort I have received from Him? It must sadden Him that I miss His purpose for the trials I'm facing. While He delights in giving me comfort during these times, His central purpose is not my comfort. His central purpose is that I see others through His eyes and become His hands and feet going to them extending the comfort He has given me!

Guidebook:
2 Corinthians 1:3-4

No comments:

Those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength; they will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31